Research Interests :
Theories of actions and change for dynamic systems, robots, agents, and
(mobile robots; robot control - formal characterization and automatic generation
cognitive robotics; reasoning about actions; concurrent actions; complex
actions; actions with causal effects; actions with non-deterministic effects;
narratives; sensing actions; actions with probabilistic effects; Bayes'
nets; Markov decision processes; Partially observable Markov decision processes;
Supply chain planning; etc.)
Non-monotonic reasoning, Knowledge representation, Logic Programming, Temporal
reasoning, Combining knowledge bases, and AI in general.
(mathematical foundations of nonmonotonic reasoning; use of defaults in
commonsense knowledge; value minimization in circumscription; nested abnormality
of logic programs, default theories and autoepistemic theories; well-founded
semantics of default theories, logic programs, and autoepistemic theories;
conditional logics; preferential models; abductive reasoning vs filtering;
Active, deductive and incomplete databases and workflows.
(semantics of active databases; formulating correctness of active databases;
specification of the purpose of active databases, and automatic derivation
of active rules from the specification; modelling workflows as multiple
co-operative agents; expanding queries to incomplete databases; Semantics
of negation in deductive databases; etc.)
Multimedia and visualization.
(modeling of multimedia data; object relation data model; multimedia database
design using extended ER models; modeling the web as a databases; visualization
and display of multimedia data; specification langauge for display of multimedia
answers to a query; etc.)
Current and Recent Sponsered Projects
- A systematic approach to reasoning about actions
and change. NSF CAREER award. 1995-2001
- Reasoning and planning with sensing actions and their
applications. NSF. 4/1/00 -- 3/31/03.
- Agent development and control verification using dual
characterizations. NASA 01-02.
Honors, Awards, and Professional Service
- Best paper award, ATAL (Agents, theories and languages) 99.
- Research Initiation Award, National Science Foundation, 1992-1995
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 1995-2001
- 3rd place finish in the AAAI 96 robot contest for office navigation.
- 1st place finish in the AAAI 97 robot contest for home vacuuming.